Saturday, July 05, 2008

Barak Obama's Latin slogan--and a proposed one for McCain

Okay, I never thought I would see the day. Reuters is reporting that Barak Obama has a Latin campaign slogan: "Vero Possimus," which is a rough translation of "Yes, we can." Literally, it translates "We are truly able" or "We truly can". The last time I saw a Latin slogan for a campaign was when the English made seats for the House of Lords elected, and some of the old codgers, apparently not hip on the 20th century, employed the Dead Language in their own campaigns.

I'm being slightly facetious, of course. I'm a Latin teacher. I love it.

Obviously the McCain campaign will now be scrambling to invent their own Latin slogan so as not to be embarassed by Obama, and I have just the thing. Ready? We now unveil the McCain campaign slogan:
Commeatus Veritatis

That is a rough translation of the "Straight Talk Express." Literally, it means "Convoy of Truth."

Take that Democrats.

4 comments:

Richard Day said...

Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes. : )

Stevo said...

I will never forget when we finally gave Kentucky an official Latin motto... that was great. I don't think many people know about it, but at least it exists.

yay.

semper ubi sub ubi.

Anonymous said...

And being in another language, it sounds vaguely enough like Posse Comitatus to attract some fringe votes.

jah

Anonymous said...

Deo gratium numbskullerati. Fitting for both parties.