Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Did you say Heidegger?"

I attended a wedding this weekend in which my son, Thomas, who is a fair expert in the philosopher of Martin Heidegger, was the best man. Upon arriving at the reception, he told me a funny story.

While back at the wedding, the groom reminded him that, as the best man, he was obliged to offer a toast at the newlyweds. "That's fine," he said. "But you do realize that I always mention Heidegger when I give a speech?"

"No one cares about Heidegger," said the groom, dismissively--at which point the minister, standing behind them and catching the last part of the comment, said, interested, "Did you say Heidegger?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.